As the crisis in Gaza rapidly deteriorates, we condemn the ongoing violence against innocent Palestinians in Gaza and the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
From Jewish Voice for Peace, comes this alarming news; “In the past week, Israel has dropped more bombs on Gaza than the U.S. did in a year of war on Afghanistan." The continued siege of Gaza and the withholding of food, water, electricity, and humanitarian aid is in total violation of international law. These acts amount to an imminent genocide that must be stopped.
We stand in solidarity with the people of Gaza.
We stand in solidarity with the people of Palestine.
We continue to receive news on this issue and we would like to highlight this statement from Dar Yusuf Nasri Jacir for Art and Research, a grass-roots independent artist–run initiative based in Bethlehem:
Vigils, marches and protests are taking place on our street on a daily basis which are met with violent aggression incurred by Israel’s army and their war machines. Our space has sustained damages as a result of this. We have secured Dar Jacir for the time being and remain off-site. The situation in the West Bank remains under lockdown, with Israeli incursions nightly, and settlers roaming around armed and killing innocent people.
At this time all the focus and solidarity must be with Gaza. We urge you all to support Gaza. For those asking for trusted organizations to support our people in Gaza, we recommend looking through this list.
and these poignant lines by Palestinian poet, Mahmoud Darwish (1941-2008):
Where should we go after the last frontiers?
Where should the birds fly after the last sky?
(From “The Earth is Closing On Us")
We encourage further reading to give context to this catastrophe:
- From Yumna Patel and Mondoweiss Palestine Bureau at Mondoweiss: “'Operation Al-Aqsa Flood' Day 9: Water is running out in Gaza, Israel continues to prevent humanitarian aid"
- From Faisal Bhabha, Faisal Kutty, Muneeza Sheikh, contributors to Toronto Star: “The right side of Mideast crisis is that of humanity and international humanitarian law"
- From Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East (CJPME): “Responding to Misinformation and Hatred"
- From Jewish Voice for Peace: “Jewish Voice for Peace calls on all people of conscience to stop imminent genocide"
- From Al Jazeera: “Which countries have criticised Israeli attacks on Gaza?"
- From Friends of Sabeel North America: “Statement from the Sabeel Ecumenical Palestinian Liberation Theology Centre"
- From Jewish Voice for Peace: “Genocide, ethnic cleansing, and another Nakba in Palestine"
- From On Canada Project: “Israel's apartheid against Palestinians is a crime against humanity"
Updates on the London Arts Community